Sunday, August 3, 2008

DIY Flash Ring


Bump in the Night
Originally uploaded by BE Photographic
I have only just stumbled across the whole 'Strobist' style of photography in the last year or so. It has opened up so many more doors to the genres of photography that I now enjoy.

Recently while scrolling through the different Flickr groups, I stumbled across one called *DIY Photography Equipment. I am one not to go out and spend a bunch of money on equipment that I don't even know how they work, I decided to make a Ring Flash for less than $10.

Having a Sony Alpha A-100 camera, I now realise that A LOT of products are compatible to Canon EOS camera, and with Sony - it is harder to get things that fit.

I basically used the outline given in Fin Flash's helpful tutorial. Mine ended up a bit bulkier and heavier...all I had was an IKEA box, al-foil, gaffer tape and an old pillow cover. But it worked well for my prototype.



DIY Ringflash
Originally uploaded by BE Photographic


'Bump in the night' also known as 'I watch you sleep', kept me up one night as I edited it, looking into my own creepy eyes was actually quite eery.

Love the effects that the ring flash gives, and recommend it to anyone wanting to do soft shadow portraits.


No comments: